Friday 1 June 2018

Swim Shorts, Say Ye? My 5 out of 4 Stella Shorts Hack!



I don't like Rompers...it reminds me of Romper Room or my mom's favourite neon pink one piece strapless romper from 1984.

No.

*BUT* I do like when pattern makers offer "Romper" patterns as separates - options are good.

When I saw the Stella Women's Romper Pattern release by 5 out of 4 Patterns, I was sucked into the vortex and within 10 minutes, I was printing out the instructions and pattern pieces.

Why?

Because it sold itself as not only a romper, but separates - including a bikini top! 

I need to update a few pieces in my outside attire this year, so why not add to my 90% 5oo4 Swim collection from last year?

And my favourite niece's name is Stella. And I like Stella Artois.





We were meant to be!

After ordering, I immediately asked (I really asked - on the Facebook Group) if I could make the shorts into swim shorts?

The answer was yes - and I even provided my measurements.  Jessica assured me that since the shorts are more relaxed fit, sizing down would be fine.

And you know what?  She was right!



After cutting through the last of my awesome blue squared swim fabric, and a bit of white spandex for the interior band, away I went! 

It took me a whopping half hour to whip up my Stella Swim Shorts - including pockets!

Things I did outside the pattern instructions:
- Sized down for swim bottoms


- Top Stitched the Pockets so they laid flat



- I had to piece together 3 pieces of the Blue square fabric width wise, and sewed a  middle seam to attach the Blue Square and White fabrics together to make the wider band



- In turn, I top stitched this seam, as it's where the inside and outside band are supposed to fold over in the instructions



I opted for the longer length shorts and hemmed the legs vs adding bands.

The shorts fit perfectly! Yay! 




Now I do find the band quite high, so I am able to push it down to give it a ruched look, but I'm going to just add Ruching (possibly ties like with the Reversible Riptides) next week when I'm back from camp.

I'll update once I've modified them a bit more, but was just so excited to share while Stella is still on sale!!  Check back next week for more waistband hacking!

I do have the top cut out to match, but haven't had the chance to sew it up yet, as I'm working on a testing for a NEW swim top for 5 out of 4, so priorities! 

For now, I'm sporting them with my Agility tank, also sewn from Swim fabric!

P.S. They also have a Girls Version, so sewing from baby to adult sizes is a reality!


Sew On!











No comments:

Post a Comment