Monday 25 June 2018

Sewing Pattern Review: Rebecca Page's Monte Carlo Top (or Dress!)

I'd been coveting my Activewear Spoonflower custom Rhodesian Ridgeback fabric since last year.

The intent was a cycling jersey.  The reality of Vestibular Migraines = no cycling in my near future due to balance issues.

So when I saw the Rebecca Page Monte Carlo Tunic to Maxi Dress Pattern, it was calling for my Ridgeback Fabric.

I'm not generally a dress person, but the tunic length seemed perfect for me.

                     

Some of the highlights of the Monte Carlo include:
- Knit or Woven Fabrics can be used
- Tunic, Knee, or Maxi length
- Shirred or elastic casing back
- Wide or narrow straps
- French Seams (which I'm learning to love)
- Ruffles (option)
- Sizes XXS to 5XL

I opted to sew up the tunic length with wide straps.












I think it turned out great - and it's not my last Monte Carlo!

The length is perfect for me - hitting just below my hip (which is how I like it).  I am 5'-2" just so you get the idea of length.  The pattern is drafted for a 5'-6" high frame, but rarely do I take length off a top due to personal preferences of covering my booty.

The front is definitely boobalicious, so I sewed a couple of tacking stitches to keep the Girls in place.  A bigger bust would definitely keep things in place more naturally as an FYI.

I opted for straight straps, as cross overs aren't nice for my neck and shoulder issues - it's comfy and the straps stay put without having to put them back in place (yay!). I could raise them up an inch at the back to prevent my bra from showing, but most of my bras are lower in the back than the particular Lulu bra I was wearing for pictures.

I'm the proudest of a new technique I learned - shirring.

When I think of shirring (once I googled what it was), I thought of those fancy tops I wore as a kid on photo day. So 1980's retro and early 2000's dance/rave scene club tube tops (sorry, Dad!).

I'm ok with this.

The shirring instructions were on par and easy to understand with step-by-step pictures and verbiage which held my hand the whole way through. (thanks, Rebecca!)

And guess what? It turned out perfect and even looks a bit professional! 





So overall, I'm happy with the look and feel of the Monte Carlo - and due to using Dri-Fit type fabric, I can actually work out in this fancy top, look (safely) boobalicious, and sweat without looking like it.

It does come in a few other options:

No comments:

Post a Comment