Monday 11 June 2018

All The Tank Top Sewing Patterns - Which to Choose?

Summer is coming and it's time to bring out your summer gear, and create new stylish attire to beat the heat!

Today we're looking at my favourite tank top patterns - and they're all different styles depending on your mood and shape.


5 out of 4's Escapade Tankini


5oo4 Escapade Tankini with Diane Joggers

5oo4 Escapade Tankini with retrofitted cheapo Tardis Leggings - one of my final store-bought purchases before I started sewing my Wardrobe - I had to add 4" on either side to fit into these leggings!

5oo4 Escapade Tankini with Rebecca Page Pippa Pants



The Escapade Top is definitely boobalicious, and I made mine with the built in bra cups, so no extra bra required!  So needless to say, Husband REALLY likes this tank top.

I love how it feels on top, and that it's nice and forgiving on the bottom with a more relaxed feel (aka you can eat, and your abdomen is fashionably hidden).

I have a constantly sore neck and shoulders, so generally avoid criss cross backs, but the Escapade is comfy and the straps are placed well - no pain while wearing my Escapade!


More on the Escapade here







The Amelia comes in top to maxi dress length - sleeveless to full sleeved versions.

For the summer, it's nice to have a breathable top without sleeves.

This is another winner with Husband - due to the cross over boobalicious front.

A bit more challenging to create with lining in the bodice, but worth the time and effort. 

The cute skirt gives it a girly and fun feel - and can be knit or woven - so use up those flowy wovens with a stellar knit for a summery feel!

More on Amelia Here






The Marbella Tank - It's kind of girly, and lets me use fabric that I may not have enough for an entire anything for. You can use the same fabric for front and back, or be silly like me, and be serious on the front and have a cute sassy pattern for the back piece.

The top of the back piece is what sets this tank top apart with its options:
- Plain back
- Racerback Lace Back
- Open Normal Lace Back
- Regular Lace Back

I prefer the Open Normal and Regular Lace Back, as Racer Backs and my neck aren't normally friends.

It is an easy sew, and a great way to showcase some sass in my wardrobe.

If you have an open back top, this tank top is the perfect complimentary layering piece!








I loved the Bonnaroo from the moment Kristi released the pattern.

But, the fabric budget I put myself on, and the need to use every scrap of fabric for as many clothing articles as possible, my Bonnaroo's are pieced together Crystal style.

My first (the blue and white striped) is actually an oversized (on purpose) Walmart night shirt or t-shirt (not sure which) paired with some fun camping fabric at the back. 

The back panel is totally free style colour blocking, and that's what I do.

The second top is just colour blocked cotton lycra (light and medium weight) - I love how it is a more relaxed fit.

Now, I made the straps as per pattern instructions, but honestly, they were big and bulky no matter which fabric I used, so out came my seam ripper.  I changed it up on both tops with lace. Ribbon would work too. It makes me feel girly.






This was my first me-made tank top - and it's amazing! 

I used some funky Cotton Lycra and lightweight Spandex for both versions - and the star was MUCH easier to make than anticipated.  There are also starless options with either side panels or no panels at all.

I added a Hood from the Hey Babie Top pattern to my Mario Version from an old Mario Toadstool t-shirt of Husbands - it's awesome.

I love the way it fits - but the star makes me feel like a Super Hero!

It has been upgraded since I sewed my last one, so I'm going to have to add in the tank with the side panel and POCKET - I'm a sucker for pockets.








The Key West Tank is a cute and easy tank top sew.


I love the flare at the bottom - it's flattering for my body shape, and goes well with my Pierside Pencil Skirt (also New Horizons).

There are two back options - standard or racerback - both of mine are standard. 






Trusting in Rebecca's sizing, I cut into my custom made Spoonflower Rhodesian Ridgeback dri-fit fabric for the Monte Carlo Tunic.

Whew!

It has lovely detailing - like a shirred (or elastic) back casing that is SUPER comfortable, and the reason that this tank can be made from either knit OR cotton fabric!

The straps can be thick (like mine) or thin, straight or criss crossed, there's even an option to add a ruffle.  It goes from tunic to maxi length.

Mine is SO comfortable and definitely not my last.




Another colour blocked success, the Trendy Tank is another quick and easy sew - and includes the scary V-Neck! 

The neckline was actually easy to sew with Susanne's directions, and turned out perfectly without requiring my seam ripper.

I like the flare at the bottom and the relaxed look.





This top comes in tank to long sleeved versions, and I LOVE the drape and side ruching.

It's loose fitting and can easily be made for workout wear, the office, or a sultry date night.

It takes a bit longer than a plain tank to create, but the end results are sassy. 

I used Cotton Lycra for the unicorn fabric, and lightweight sweater knit for the maroon solid portion - they seem to mesh well together.






So you can see the trend of colour blocking here...this isn't included in any of the above tops noted. I just add 5/8" extra fabric to what will be the joined seams for the panels, top stitch, and follow the remaining directions normally.

This was a failed Super Sleeve Top. I used the flutter sleeves as it was the only amount of fabric I had left after I'd already cut into the bodice portion of the fox fabric.

The medium weight Cotton Lycra + Flutter Sleeves = Epic Fail and looked awful.

So off came the arms, I guesstimated the amount of binding I required to make arm bands, and hoped that there was no gaping on the armcycle.

And hey, it worked!  The Super Sleeve Top makes a great tank top - who would of known??

As a tank top, it's  simple quick sew - nothing special.

But not all tops have an armcycle that allows for a tank top, so I was fortunate!

That's it for some of my tank top patterns - now go out and sew up some fun tanks for yourself. 

Which is your favourite?





No comments:

Post a Comment