Wednesday 6 June 2018

Sewing Pattern Review: Rebecca Page's The Quiet Book Add ON



The newest Rebecca Page pattern - the Doll's House Quiet Book Add On - had me hooked from the moment I set my eyes on it!

My imagination ran wild, and I went a bit off course from the pattern with adding in SO many personal touches.

I have no kids, but I have imagination and am a big kid at heart. I wanted to create our story - our life!  So from home to driving to our camp land, to tenting it under the stars with a bit of Geekdom - here's a peek into our life. And with the Add on, having the option to add more pages in, I'll continue adding on pages as life happens.

What is included in the Original Doll House Quiet Book?
- 5 rooms - Bedroom, Living Room, Tent, Swimming Hole, Campfire
- 3 Dolls - Mouse, Kitty, and Bear


I used the Bear and Kitty from the original for my dolls...but ALSO added in my own pets - our two Rhodesian Ridgebacks, Fynn and Gideon! 

How, you ask? 

I found a few different silhouettes on Google, printed them out, and sewed them together - Gideon looking up at us (as he does), and silly Fynn looking in the distance with a bandana on.




What is included in the Add On for Dolls?
- A boy and girl with several hair options to create Mini-Me's!
- There is a skirt option or pants option for bottoms.

I MADE them myself and Husband.



Husband has a Star Wars shirt on, and cute belt with belt loops (hand sewn!).



I have an infiniti scarf, silly top, jeans with POCKETS!, and a lace sash to add some more girliness.






This pattern has no limits!



For the Add On, it includes more pages:
- Road & Hillside
- Barn
- Outhouse
- Tractor
- Garden
- Kitchen
- Bathroom
- Backyard

I opted for:
- Original outside house
- Add on Buttons for expansion
- Road & Hillside
- Outhouse WITH Fire pit (I'll tell you how!)
- Tent


So I used both the original AND Add On Bundle for my book



Aren't those flowers cute?
Buttons for the Add On
Dolls playing in front of the house!
We're home!





It's bigger on the inside!
Front door with button to open it, and cute curtains hung
Ready for picking! The flowers are removable!



Next up are the Road and Outhouse Firepit area.

I'm creative, and decided the finger puppets included with the Farm design were meant not to be chicks, but our 3 parrots! 


So I created our African Grey, Cockatiel, and Caique Parrots! These were totally free styled with their feathers, and I used lace, felt, and ribbon for a great end result. 




I attached snaps to their backs, and snaps in the clouds and above the tree branch to allow them to perch where they wanted to.

I cut a piece of gnome fabric I had to be the "driver" of the car as well - because I like gnomes.

AND for the fire pit, I just halved the pattern size in order to fit it beside the fire pit.  We love our fire pits at our camp land in Quebec!




Both inner pages
Speedy gnome with button wheels and headlight!

Don't let the cat get the birds!
See the snap on the back?
I really love how they turned out!  Rosco, Stryder, and Merlin - SO cute! 

The outhouse page!
Handy Carrying Strap
Notice the clouds on the straps!  And I stuffed the logs too for a full effect.

Everybody poops!


Oh Husband - peeing with the door open again! And notice his CUTE pockets!  That's iron on patch stuff I got from Walmart and cut to size. Ironed on before putting the stuffing in.



Look at the details!  Even a button to hold the door closed.



Last but not least, the Tent Page (back).

I made a shooting star, and added a Tardis by the moon!  If you know what the Tardis is, you're Geeky Cool!

I added lace to the bottom as I accidentally cut the exterior flaps too short - it looks pretty!  And then I needed to add Ribbon to the sides and front flaps to finish off the edges of the linen I used for the main part of the tent.



Tent Page!
See the Tardis??


Shooting Star!




Night time! 
Lace fixes everything!


I LOVED making this book.  It was a work of dedication with so many little details - but I loved the ideas that it encouraged.

It's also a great scrap buster.

I highly recommend this pattern for your kids, nieces, nephews, grandkids, kids you like, YOURSELF! 

Bring out the kid in you while creating it and owning it - make it YOURS.

Around Christmas Time, I highly suggest the Advent Calendar or its Add On.  Add on a page or two for the kiddos with Christmas Cheer from those patterns and totally freestyle the Quiet House!


1 comment:

  1. I just love your doll house, I am a great kiddo too

    ReplyDelete