Thursday 7 June 2018

Almost Done - Mom's Craft Room Surprise Renovation! March 2018 Progress

So we're nearing the end of Mom's craft room decor surprise... sort of. 

I was meticulous throughout the whole process, so sorting through anything took For-EVER!

She had a LOT less Scrapbook paper than I thought she would (thank goodness), so sorting through the colours was easy. 



 Sorting through all of the letters and themes for scrapbooking that Mom had accumulated over the years from magazine clippings...took pretty much from January to near the end of March (Mom and Dad return from Florida at the end of March!)

The scrapbook papers ended up below the work desk, and the magazine clippings in the pink boxes to the left - again, organized by theme and alphabet in separate ziplock bags that Mom was already using. 

Each theme had a tag I made with a picture and font reflecting the theme - like Hawaii or Ocean as pictured below. There were a good 100 or so of these!



For the scrapbooking words, I organized them by theme - hand made about 100 separate mini 6" x 4" folders to hold each word theme, and printed out separate labels for each folder - each word a different font and picture, depending on the theme. 
Each word theme fit into photo boxes mom already had. And the file folders I cut up to make the mini folders were hand cut to fit. 
 

I decorated the main wall board with star fish mom had collected over the years in Florida - glued on with super hot glue and a few burnt finger tips along the way!

 I hung the shelf unit that had originally been sitting on the work table onto the wall near the sewing table - I had to improvise a bit, as my Dad's workshop wasn't as handy or stocked as I thought it would be - but I made it work - and it's still holding the weight!  

Stupid fabric flowers. I hate thee!

 

More board items: like a stuffed leaf I made from the Rebecca Page Bunting Flag pattern - it's now a pin cushion!

 

 On the table, I separated and labelled all the doo dads - like beads, charms, and other decorative bits. 

The label font is the same, but I changed up the colours. 

 

Hand painted Pinterest inspired pictures - I bought the canvases at Michaels with a 50% coupon, so they were about $10 for the larger ones.  

The smaller frames (near the closet) were from the Dollarama - 5 for $1.50. Woo!




And more Buntings from the Rebecca Page Pattern - one for each side of the craft room. Originally this sign was to say, "The Beach Is My Happy Place," however, the wall wasn't big enough, so I removed the "Is" 




And I used more of the caskets mom had to decorate the walls. Shells applied with glue gun to showcase my favourites!

 

And I made  a Notebook at Shutterfly as Mom seems to love to write everything down in notes. I put some cute pictures of us on our adventures as a reminder to her that I love her and care. 

Shutterfly is great, as they always have free products - I just pay a small shipping fee. 



Mom loved the room and was so surprised - I didn't tell her I was surprising her, and now it's organized and I no longer twitch when I go over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment