Wednesday 9 May 2018

Sewing Pattern Review - Mother Grimm's Beltaine Tunic

I absolutely adore Jodi from Mother Grimm Patterns - her designs are whimsy and unique. 

And she encourages my habit of colour blocking. 

The Beltaine Tunic is a diverse pattern, which even flatters those of us with hips!





There are a zillion options, so you can get away with wearing the same top over and over again. 

And it's the perfect length for those of us who insist on wearing leggings as pants (yes, I've been converted despite digging my heels in for years...pending the top is long enough to cover my caboose). 

The options included are:
- Round or Hanky Hem

- POCKETS

- Banded Bodice (great for colour blocking due to lack of full fabric!)

- Plain front (no colour blocking or pockets)

- Trim (lace, ribbon, or even DIY!)

- Colour Blocking




For my test muslin version, I used a REALLY thin sweater knit for the main portion, the last scraps of my Llama fabric for the pockets, and spandex for the band and pocket binding. 

The spandex was too thick (I feel), and I wouldn't use such a thin heavy sweater knit again (not flattering on my booty), but that's why we test with a variety of fabrics. 

So, I graded the pattern for my larger waist/hips from where I normally do on patterns - from between the armcycle and waist - which didn't turn out perfect - hence why we use scrappy fabrics for our first version during testing.

There were enough modifications made during testing, that the kinks were worked out, and it fits like a nice glove now!  




For my final version, I was *supposed* to do a plain version with ruffle, but needed to colour block due to a raging pounding migraine and lack of fabric. 

So I used the remainder of this black & white silky rayon fabric from when a local Fabricland closed 3 or 4 years ago, a lighter spandex for the band, and a super light sweater knit ($3 a metre Fabricland special) for the skirt and ruffle portion. 

I didn't have enough fabric for the full ruffle length (maybe 1 metre less), but I really like the drape it gives with a smaller ruffle. 

The ruffle isn't hemmed, so make sure to either use a fabric that doesn't get ratty over time and washes, or hem/zig zag stitch it to keep it pretty. 

I also didn't grade my final version either - I went straight Emerald sizing, with the smaller back option (to prevent sway back), and it's perfect! 

I'm 5'2" and didn't shorten the pattern anywhere, and with the right fabric (not slightly see through like my sweater knit), will make a cute flirty dress!  With leggings underneath, it's perfect legging length. 

It was a quick sew, and Jodi's instructions are clear and concise. 

If you like a little bit of flirty flare, sew for it!  

The Beltaine Tunic is on sale for 25% off with code BELTAINE25 under May 12th (Saturday) - Grab it now!


2 comments: