Thursday 20 April 2017

Rebecca Page Patterns - My First Pattern Testing Group!

Last month, I applied for AND was accepted for my first pattern testing group with Rebecca Page Patterns!


The Kingston Jacket!



Rebecca creates STUNNING clothing that is perfect for me to wear either to work or while at play.  The attention to detail and professional touches definitely set her patterns at the top of my radar while looking to expand my professional office wardrobe. 
 

At this point, I had already made a Madison Blouse (another post for another day), and knew how challenging M & M's patterns are.  On the flip side, the end results are just beautiful and elegant with a plethora of top stitching, hidden edges, and a plethora of new sewing terms that I am wrapping my head around. I love the challenge!



This testing group started out with picking out our fabrics.  I didn't have anything really appropriate aside from some old faded curtains, so I was given the green light to go to Fabricland.



Then I saw it. And had to have it!  I call it "The Eye of the Tiger" Fabric!

Left was original curtain; right is awesome tiger combo!!
Next step was sewing what is called a "muslin" - basically a fake garment used to ensure the fit is proper and any changes can be made at that point.  It also save ruining your nice fabric chosen for your final piece of clothing!

I Finished cutting out the Muslin pieces, and had to await a shipment of buttons from a new supplies to make it into a spring jacket. I've had the greenish material for 20 years (made my first curtains with it when I first moved out), and the purple I bought for a skirt I never made.

Pattern pieces cut, fabric chosen for muslin
As I progressed, I updated the Private testing FB group with my progress.  I'm still in awe that I made this...and it's only my "fake" jacket!



These seams! This is only my test run, but they are flat and - I'll root my own horn - pretty straight top stitching! Onto the front plackets!


Seams

This took forever to sew up, but my trial run was finally done after a day or two! No buttons, but everything else was done as per pattern specs -  muslins generally require an arm, no hemming, and be very basic. As I like this fabric, I opted to go all out into making it similar to the real deal.

The side pockets poke out a bit and I can't put my hands in them, so I didn't include them for my for real jacket.  Many ladies noted this, and they are in the final pattern with a warning on their usage.



Done Muslin (minus buttons)

It was really cute, as the last 24 hours, Kate (our main contact) put up a live timer for the Final Countdown!



I definitely felt the pressure at this point, as I work full time, have my husband & pets (and home) to contend with, and each jacket took me about 7-8 hours from start to finish as I made some errors and ripped out a lot of seams. 



It was a blur, but I know on both jackets, I sewed the arms on inside out - I blame fatigue and working on the jacket late.  As well, I don't have a serger, as I am not 100% comfortable doing the felted seams (where you cannot see the seams at all - the fabric edges are cut near the seam on one half, folded over twice, then stitched with NO edges showing on the inside or outside of the garment) - that's an over-time skill I will learn and practice. So I sew a straight line, then zigzag the raw edges.



I'll go funky seams next time and hone in that skillset.



At least the fabrics were not knit and forgiving to me meticulously tearing out the stitches.



Make sure you sew the arms on the proper side out and are reading the right directions for your machine/sewing comfort level.



Partway through my jacket, I tried it on.  It's awesome. It would make a great jean jacket vest!



ROAR!
Less than 6 hours to go, I was finally done the jacket...now to decide if I wore my Madison Blouse or sew up a Paris Party dress to wear for final pictures.  I had 5 hours 46 minutes to go at that point. And was hungry. 

Pretty Seams!

This is definitely not a pattern for the impatient! Good thing I like details!



I love this jacket and learn (and improved) so many skills while sewing up both my "muslin" tester (which I'll be adding buttons too, as it's stinking cute), and the real deal.



Wow!



I can't believe I made this!


Thank you Rebecca, for creating patterns that really do take you by the hand so even someone who isn't used to patterns beyond basic store-bought tissue paper ones can learn and hone in not only new skills, but give us the opportunity to sew our wardrobes!


 Of course, a Glutton for punishment and pushing my limits, I whipped up my first Paris Party Dress (with elastic waistband, dress, and lining options!), because I like submitting things during the Final Countdown (ha ha!).

 


Collar
 


Full front
 


Full back
 


lower back button
 


Silly Systic pic with Owl hat
 


Posing for Grumpy Husband
 



It's SO COOL!

Get your Kingston Jacket at Mummykins and Me for an awesome Spring to Fall wearing jacket!  You can make it as a plain Jean jacket or something funky and off the wall!  I used upholstery fabric, but denim, cotton, and any light to medium non-knit fabrics can be used! 
 
Some testers used lace for sleeves- oh, there ARE sleeve options! I chose classic, but there are also : 3/4, bell, half angel, full angel, and trumpet sleeves!

No comments:

Post a Comment