Wednesday 19 April 2017

My First Soho & Sew-A-Long - Halla Patterns

Hoodies serve a purpose - they keep you warm, slip on or zip up, and that's about it.

How about finding a tunic (below your behind) lengthed hoodie. That's just not happening in retail stores.

Then I discovered Halla Patterns Soho Top thanks to my First Sew-A-Long courtesy of the Fabric Geeks, a custom fabric company that has both a US and Canadian location.

So, I sewed along. Step-by-step, each day was a different task.

Day One: Get the Pattern And Choose Fabric

I chose a mixture of fabrics, along with the Kangaroo Pocket and Hood to make it into a lightweight Hoodie. 

Fabrics consisted of:
- parts of an old Gap hoodie I got from Delaware for $5 - it had some sort of Pho or other weird stain on the front, so I wasn't wearing it. I used the Cuffs as cuffs, and cut the back of the hoodie to make the front Kangaroo Pocket

- Random $2 a Metre Fabricland fabric I bought to make work tops, but it was the only fabric I had around at the time - it works well with this pattern!

- beautiful Spandex knit Feathers Fabric from Black Rabbit Fabrics

And I was ready to Sew

Putting the pattern together is easy.  I print on my home printer Draft setting to save Ink, select my sizes (M & L with Halla Patterns) in the settings, Print at normal sizing, and put them together like a puzzle with tape and cut the pieces out with scissors.  

Don't worry, the pattern instructions show you how to put it together if you're not a puzzle maker.

There is a line on specific pieces (i.e. front and back) for grading, so I can easily customize the top portion to be smaller, and cut it seamlessly at a slight angle from the Medium to Large lines for my big booty.



Day Two:

Cut out fabric!!

I cut this as one of my first projects, thus only had my awesome Singer scissors, which Husband got me for "Fabric only" several Christmases ago.  They are my favourite, and I put them through a workout regularly.

With scissors, lots of time, pinning, and cutting has to be done, and any raggy edges are fixed with my zigzag stitch or light trimming.



Day Three:
 
Pockets! I did the Kangaroo Pocket Add on, and it's SO cute!

It's made from Black rabbit bits on the upper sides, and part of my old turquoise $5 Gap sweatshirt from Delaware.  I'm glad I was able to repurpose it, as I loved that sweatshirt and colour.

First the upper side bands are sewn onto the pouch, then the pouch on the centre bottom of the front piece of the shirt.



Day Four:

Sew the sleeve pieces to the main bodice. Watch to make sure you are attaching the correct sleeve to the correct bodice piece. Generally the longest side of the top of the sleeve attaches to the back bodice. If you are doing the slash opening you will leave one front sleeve/front bodice piece
unattached.

Pretty sure I sewed the first arm on inside out - the first of many!  The seam ripper and patience is my friend some days.



 


Day Five:

Sew the side seams. If you are doing the slash front you will leave the side you are doing the slash on open. (You will have one side seam, the other will be open)

And this is where I noticed that the shirt was REALLY long as I cut the pattern under the tall PLUS tunic length.  I'm 5'-2", thus that was really long.  I cut the pattern piece thereafter, but kept the shirt as is. 

Learning as we go!

 
 
Day Six:

Completed Hood/cowl/neckline

I absolutely LOVE this hood.  It's a double hood, and I realized that I did not need the neck band if I was putting the hoodie in.  It does make the interior a bit nicer, but it's not necessary.

This is my FIRST hoodie ever, and I opted for the front cross.  I can't believe I made this! 




Day Seven:

Soho is Complete!




This was an amazing first long sleeved hoodie style shirt. This was my FIRST project after my 3 pairs of Peg Legs.  


It was a simple sew with clear instructions with easy to understand pictures (I use the term "Picture Pages," but it is how I learn these days).  
Any errors were on my end as I was relatively new to every day-wear type clothing and PDF patterns. Fatigue also plays a role in that. The Neckline, inside out sleeve, and length were all on me.  
 
This is the pattern that made me begin to love Halla's style of patterns. 
 
AND I WON!
 
I won the sew-a-long!  My first one ever!
 
Fabric Geek sent me 2 yards of fun fabric as a prize!  the skull one is for Husband's future hoodie and the I Lava You is ALL MINE!
 
 
 
 

AND This (Stardust tank) is the pattern that made me fall IN love with Halla
 
 

I opted for the side star, with Black Rabbit Fabric mixed with some black spandex fabric I got from my sister when we attempted to dress Husband up as the Grim Reaper. His (my) reward was a metre or two of black spandex. Which I've used in countless projects and have a few remnants of these days.  

It mixes well with my Leggings, and the Tunic Length perfectly covers my behind without being so taut that I feel self conscious about my mid section.

 
I used the same Medium to Large grading, and it fit like a glove! 

There were a lot of pins and patience while sewing the star, and aside from one small tugged point, it's perfect!  

Now that sunny season is almost here, I want to make a few of the side colour blocked versions. I can even use 3-4 fabrics that aren't big enough for one shirt, but perfect for a front, back, sides, or trim!
I did make a Slim Dolman top with an old t-shirt, the endless Fabricland rayon spandex black/white/grey/beige patterned mystery fabric from the Kanata store closing sale, and an old Grey maxi Dress.  



And also a Hey Babie top with a hood option, Black Rabbit Fabric, some old stretchy turquoise flowered fabric, and remnants of another old t-shirt.  
 
Next up is Halla's NEWEST pattern, which was released on April 18, 2017 in such an awesome fashion - with 10 weeks of Trivia, finding patterns, and other delights, Samantha (Halla designer) has us all excited to follow her into Summer! So if you're not a member, join the Halla FB group now for some freebies and FUN! 

Paired with the release of the Agnes Swing Top & Dress   is a Sew-a-long via  that I'm partaking in! It's nice to have tips and someone to ask questions to with quick response if you are stuck on a pattern. 

I'm passionate about my sewing and know what I like (and what I don't) - Systic loves Halla!
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment