Friday 18 May 2018

It's Swim Season! What Are This Unicorn's Favourite Swim Sewing Patterns??

It's swim season, and time to update our swimwear yet again!

I put several suits through their paces last year, and still feel that they're stylish this season.

My favourite suits for my 5'-2" height, and curvy body are meant for working at our cabin land AND for playing in the water.

And I'm not afraid to match and mix different pattern designers patterns with each other, as I did with several of the patterns I'm going to share with you. 

I'll start with a more unknown designer - Savvy Patterns.


The Grace Tankini is stylish, and perfect for those of us who are self conscious of our legs, behinds, and middle areas.  Essentially, it's a perfect pattern for the average woman who wants to feel beautiful in her own skin.

Merlin and me enjoying the Grace Tankini!


For more details on Grace, pop over to my original Post.


Grace Tankini with Reversible Riptide Bottoms


Next up is my favourite go-to for Swim and active wear - 5 out of 4 Patterns.

See a pattern that you'd like to sew up with swim fabric? Cut pattern pieces out, and cut your swim fabric using said pattern pieces.

Now it's swim wear.

Which pieces do I love for swim wear in particular?


The Agility Tank

This is normally a workout tank, however, I saw it as a good opportunity to keep myself covered for working around camp, yet have the ability to jump into the Riviere Noire when I'm ready to play.

Sewing it up, the instructions are easy to follow, and Jessica (the designer) offers a lot of assistance within the pattern in case you get confused by the layering.


Agility Paired with my Reversible Riptides. Even little buddy Stryder (our Cockatiel) likes it!


I feel the most tedious part was the strap binding, but that's more because there was a lot of pinning, and triple checking to make sure the pieces were where they ought to be prior to putting in the final stretch stitches.

It was easy to sew with swim, as I went slow, and didn't pull on the fabric or binding excessively.

If you have scraps of swim wear, this is a good excuse to take your time to sew the Agility tank and clear up some of your coveted complimentary swim fabric.

You can also sew just the Sports Bra as a basic bikini top.

The Agility is FABULOUS at making your middle area look stunning, and you'll strut your stuff while wearing it.

Or maybe that's just me.



The Escapade Bikini Top

When you're feeling sassy and just want a bikini top, the Escapade comes to the rescue.

It also makes a great bra, and the pattern includes a tankini and dress length, so you can make a multitude of different outfits from one pattern.

I especially love the front bust ruching - it's a nice touch and not very difficult to sew up.

More on the Escapade here

Escapade and Reversible Riptides
Reversible Riptides

I admit I have two or 3 pairs of these that will be coming out of hibernation soon! 

The first pair I made, I used the maternity hack front (oops), but it still works for me. Husband says it makes my belly look cute.

Again, I was tempted to make this pattern because a) I have lunge & squat thighs, b) I have hips and a behind, c) I love ruching ties, and d) I prefer shorts style bathing suit bottoms.




The shorts use minimal fabric (as you can tell, I made the Agility Tank , Escapade Bikini Top, and Riptides from 1/2 a metre of this fabric, and I still have some left.)

The instructions are clear, however, the steps where putting the crotch portion together were a bit confusing. I asked in the 5 out of 4 Facebook Group for help, and thankfully the steps were explained to me, and I had that "Eureka," moment on how to sew these up.

Other than that part, they were a relatively easy sew, and I love that it gives you 2 bathing suit bottoms in one (aka the reversible part).

Not having a lining in the groin area doesn't bother my bits, and I'm looking forward to making updated Riptides with this year's fabric.

I recommend every woman needs at least one pair of these! 



Shenanigans Skort

A skort say ye?

Yes - a skort!

It has shorts built in AND a skirt that can have either a plain or ruffled hem on it.

AND for my purpose, I can safely float down the river at our camp without burning my legs (it's a 4 hour river float) - here's how

Sewing up the skort itself - again, the instructions were easy to follow, and I had no issues. I didn't even have to take out my seam ripper! 


George + Ginger's Daybreak Rashguard

This is an awesome creation that allows for me to work and be in the sun without getting burnt.

Side note: I burn even if I lather on sunscreen every half hour or hour in the sun. I fear the sun - my shoulders and knees REALLY fear the sun!

This rashguard can double as a top, but for my purposes, it works well as a Swim fabric top.

Sewing it up is easy to follow - the only head scratching parts would be the neck binding and the bottom hem binding.

Just pay attention and sew slowly, and you'll sew it up perfectly fine.

I opt for mid length and 3/4 length sleeves - and it seems to work well for me so far - no belly burns on my white pasty skin! 

For anyone who spends time in the sun and water, and wants that extra level of protection, this Rashguard is a MUST. It certainly saved my arms last summer, and will continue to do so this year and beyond.


Sew, choose your swim patterns, and you'll have the most flattering and stylish swim suit collection of all your friends!

Sew on (see what I did there??)

****Update March 2020****
A few more of my fave swim patterns are detailed the following blog posts:

- The Rebecca Page Bondi Bikini



- 5 out of 4's Alice High Rise Bottoms





- 5 out of 4's Key West Bikini & Tankini



- 5 out of 4's Rosanna Tankini and Top



- Rebecca Page's Vintage Savannah Suit





No comments:

Post a Comment