Tuesday 8 May 2018

Sewing Pattern Review: New Horizons Valencia Top

I love different clothes. And clothes that are flattering.


When the oportunity to test the Valencia Top by New Horizons came up, I was thrilled to be chosen.


It features:
- A Crew neck or Open V Back
- Straps for V Back (one or multiple for a criss cross effect)
- Crossover Back Option
- Standard or tunic length
- Straight or curved hem
- Short to long sleeve lengths


New Horizon Testing is like the Fast & the Furious - seriously. You have maybe 3-4 days for your muslin and final version with pictures.


Add in time to possibly write a blog (hence why I'm writing it now, not when I tested) and be the Grammar police for the instructions as part of testing, it's a ride for sure!


I work best under pressure.


I was part of the pre-testing, so this meant NO instructions.


I had to wing it. And I think I did a pretty good job!


With instructions, it was much easier to piece together the back criss-cross effect that I love.







I made the open V Back with curved hem, long sleeves, tunic length, and criss cross back for my first option.


And I LOVE it. It's perfect for layering with a nice lacy bra or plain tank top.


It *is* an easy sew, however, make sure to follow the strap placement or you can quickly get lost. 


As well, I recommend cutting only what you need for making the actual straps for the back, otherwise you may end up using a lot more scrap fabric than you really need to.






For my Cross over back - I LOVE it! 


I used some DBP for the first time, and paired it with a solid black light rayon knit fabric.


I feel so nice wearing this with a lace back bra or even the Marbella Tank (also New Horizons).


The Cross over back option is less time consuming than the strappy back option as you're not fiddling with little straps and pins.


Overall, compared to my first New Horizons pattern I sewed up (Tami Hoodie), I found the instructions have definitely improved and are less confusing than they used to be in the past.


And the fit is perfect every time.








Sew yourself some SExy tonight with the Valencia Top!

No comments:

Post a Comment