Tuesday 29 May 2018

Mom's Sewing Room Renovation Day 2 (February 4/18)

Mom loves the ocean - she spends 4 months of the year now in Flagler Beach, Florida, just wandering the beach across from the Condo her and Dad rent every year.

So I wanted to bring Mom the spirit of the ocean to her crafting Zen zone.

First off I made her hand painted signs - each sign was Pinterest inspired, as were all the other ideas I mashed together to bring together the end result.




Aren't they cute??

I started bringing stuff out of the cupboards...and part of the closet. 

There was just SO much stuff.

 



All organized in ways...but in 10 different spots.

I brought out as much stuff as I could and just sat in the room sorting, putting aside things that could be recycled (containers) and obviously unusable "gems" (SORRY, MOM!).

On the sewing seat are flowers. I found those fake flowers EVERYWHERE. It took about 5 trips before I found them all...and then I found more!

I started organizing them by colour into prettier tins, which was relentless in the end, due to the above (finding more damn flowers every trip!).



The closet - I couldn't even reach it by the end of the day.

She had so many containers partially full or empty...just there. Not pretty ones, and just an inefficient use of space.

I started rolling the ribbon onto a) clothespins for the smaller ribbon pieces, and b) onto 2" foam squares I'd cut about 100 of - that wasn't going to be enough in the end. 

I actually ended up bringing the ribbons and laces home with me to roll up while watching tv comfortably on the couch - sitting on the ground was painful.

 

 


I took 4 BIG BLUE Ikea bags (those reusable ones) home with me over two trips to roll most of the ribbons onto separate boards and clothespins.


I also made mom a board - another Pinterest idea.

Peg board is REALLY expensive, whereas the plywood we had at home was at home and ready to use!

Before heading to Mom's, I drilled 84 1/4" holes, cut several paper straws I had from my Crystal's Bird Toys making day in half, jabbed them through the holes, and put a dab of glue at the back to hold them in - the perfect thread holders!  Much prettier than the stand they were on (well, one of 4 spots), and they were right at her eye level for easy sewing.



I used Dollar store hooks to attach the rope to (mom had lots of fancy pillow rope, so on it went to accentuate the Ocean feel), and to hang things from.



I reused a few of the baskets she had to hold more doo-dads.

I covered a nice paper box she had and hammered it right underneath the piece of corkboard I found at the Dollarama.

On the cork board, I glued some of those damn flowers around the border, along with some pretty small seashells Mom collects each year at the beach.

Why hide them?



And the pincushion. That thing's older than I am.



So it went away, and a cute new pincushion was created along with using one of the Bunting Add Ons from Rebecca Page Patterns for some hanging needle holders - one holder for a different type of needle to keep it organized.

Thank you, OCD!

Until next time - more on the evolution of Mom's Craft Room!
So the board cost me maybe $6?


No comments:

Post a Comment