Thursday 22 February 2018

Sewing Pattern Review - George + Ginger Mood Dress

Scraps - every sewists bane of existence.  
What do we do with scraps?  
With knits, depending on the stretch, they can be useful for colour blocking, undergarments, bands, and other little projects.  
With non-stretch wovens - it's more difficult to use up the smaller pieces. I use them for small projects like toys...but that is a rarity.  
 
Full Billy Book Case of colour organized scraps!

Scraps before I labeled colours on each bin
 

The George + Ginger Pattern collection came out with the "Mood Dress," which immediately inspired me!  
I am short at 5'-2", however, thus the initial length of the dress was daunting. So what did I do? I cut each of the mood strip pieces in half lengthwise in hopes that I'd have a knee length (or close to) dress.  
What I ended up with was a dress just below mid calf that is full of awesomeness and fun!  

With a fitted bodice, that fits perfectly with my G + G measurements (size 8 bust graded down to size 14 waist), and was a delight to sew.
  
Maybe not such a delight to cut, as each strip is individually cut x 4 pieces to create the chevron look.  
 
Some pieces near the bottom, like the Star Wars fabric (sorry, Husband, I had to have something with Star Wars in my wardrobe, even though I bought the fabric for you!). So I blocked a few pieces together on the bottom strips to make it work, and sewed a pretty line of lace and ribbon for any pieces I did this for.  
 
With the number of different complimentary patterns used in my dress, this is noticeable to me only - it looks funky and is definitely original!  
 
The Star Wars blends in, so I am able to actually wear my Mood Dress to my Business Casual office!  
 
Although I wish it were shorter (I'll add one less layer next time - maybe half the strips again for less length an add nice ribbon or lace to the bottom edging), I love it.  
It's flattering, sassy, and fun! 
 
it would make a great prom or fancy dress with the right fabrics - think draped silk or the fabric you see bridesmaids dresses made from!  
 
There is also an option for a gathered knee length skirt (no chevron colour blocking involved)....although I could attempt this dress again with the gathered skirt and chevron or make just plain strips length or width wise to still make this an awesome woven scrap-busting dress option for my closet!  
 
I love the sass and style of George + Ginger Patterns - the Mood Dress is no exception.  They put me out of my comfort zone at times, but make me feel beautiful once I adorn on of her designs!


No comments:

Post a Comment