Monday 26 February 2018

Mom's Craft Room Reorganization Surprise - Day 1




Growing up, my mom's sewing room was a little room made from melamine board walls...and looking back, there was no organization. I remember boxes dangling ready to fall at any moment, garbage bags full of fabric and unfinished projects (and hiding there MANY times sometimes for fun, other times out of fear).
 
 
So when I visited my parents before they left for Florida in December, I asked for something simple. Velcro and Elastic.
 
 
My mom checked at least 5 or 6 places, and I then noticed her room of chaos with new eyes!  No wonder she has half finished projects and procrastinates.  I wouldn't be able to work in that environment either. 
 
So begins my awesome train of thought that I would reorganize her supplies and make her workspace her oasis - Beach themed!
 
I have pictures of the after-Day 1 chaos before I gave up...likely after 8 hours of working on just taking everything apart! 
 

 
This was the Closet Before I even attempted to take anything out of it...it was actually the least scary part of this project.  Minus continually finding MORE fabric flowers just when I thought I'd seen them all.


 
 
 


This  is the oldest bobbin holder and pin cushion - I swear they are older than I am!  Good idea for someone with 20 bobbins...not so much with someone who has closer to 100 bobbins!
 
 
 
 
 These are also some of the oldest bobbins ever.  I remember these from when I was a kid. 
 
These have since been packed in a little plastic organizer with clear dividers - separated by colour of course!
 


The bins. The containers. The Lace. The scrapbook stickers.
 
 
The EVERYTHING! 
 



This is the left side of the closet...nothing is labeled, and it was so random what I found here.
 
On the left you can see the beginnings of my flower organization. By Colour.
 
Those containers...not big enough for most of the colours.



I no longer like fake flowers. 
 
 
The plan for each tin is to decorate it nautical themed - ribbon, lace, that fabric that you wrap around trees in the fall in preparation for winter (I can't think of the word right now).
 
They are labeled by flower, so no words.  Here's hoping Mom's not colour blind!
 
 



Look at them. Look at all the colours NOT organized!
 


Close up of the lace. This came home with me eventually to be separated and wound separately onto handcut 2.5" squared foam board pieces or clothes pegs if they were just little scrappy ribbon bits.
 
They filled an entire Blue Ikea Bag and then some.
 


Some of the scrapbooking supplies.
 
 
This was nothing compared to what I found throughout the upcoming weeks...
 



Left wall area - this is how I left if after Day 1...so many things to sort through!
 


This was the end of the day before the sun set - January 13, 2018.
 
Who knew 1.5 months later that I would still be at it?
 
I'm twitching just looking at this.



No comments:

Post a Comment