Sunday 10 May 2015

The Trouble With Rosco...

We have an 8 year old Black Headed Caique named Rosco.



Rosco when he's nice.


I was babysitting him for his breeder about 8 years ago while she was on vacation, and fell in love with his Caique Antics. He never did go back to the breeder.

Back then, there really wasn't of lot of information about Caiques beyond how much fun they were and that they may be a bit nippy. I could deal with this.

Unfortunately, after a babysitting incident while I was out of town, my sweet Rosco (only 9 months old) went from all giggles and fun to a raging lunatic. I opened his cage door when I returned, and he lunging himself at me, literally biting me multiple times. I was in such shock, I had no idea how to react.

The look of rage and anger in his eyes was awful. I left him in his cage for a few days to let him cool down, thinking it was just me being away for the long weekend.

Nope.

A year later, and our relationship no better despite my attempts to earn his trust back, I was untrusting of him, and he of me. when I did trust him, he would at times instantly get this glimmer in his eye, shake his head, and he would bite me (not just a nibble, but bite to hurt - multiple times if he had the chance). I found a Caique Forum online, and it wasn't just me. Most of the Caique owners suffered similar plights with their Caiques. 

So I wasn't alone in this, and it really wasn't me - but the overall species.

Rosco evil eyes trying to eat the camera

I warn anyone looking at Caique babies and their cute antics to read about the Bad and Ugly aspects - there are way too many of us out there and so much information out there now vs 8 years ago.

People who REALLY want Caiques, and say they can distance themselves from them emotionally when their bird turns on them...really have no idea.  You really can't take offence to their Jekyll/Hyde personality, and have to learn how to evolve your relationship - it will never be the same as it was when they were cute babies.

I spent one summer without Air Conditioning in a snow suit so he could hang out with us and we didn't have to fear when he turned and bit us. He opened the door to and attacked my sister's Budgie (who thankfully just lost all of her tail feathers and mutliple wing feathers). He has flung himself at me when I open his door in the bird room and aimed to bite (there's a 50/50 chance of this when it's time to come out)

I do the flinch kind of like an abused person does when their attacker is attacking them.

I have tried calming teas, calming powders, spending time with him in his cage and me in the bird room, time with him out of his cage until he looks like he's about to fling himself at me.

I can't trust him with the other birds. he hates Husband (and clucks at him when he sees him - less now, but I have been called upstairs a few times to rescue Husband when Rosco comes to the bathroom door looking for trouble.

He has been like this for almost 8 years now. We had less than 6 months before he turned (around 9 months old).

I feel like we're never going to be friends. I don't trust him. He doesn't trust me.

Sure he gets great food, fresh veggies & fruit, a variety of toys, a cage full of fun (I sold bird toys for 5+ years, thus lots of fun for him), but he is just so angry so much of time time. He sounds happy and chatters with our African Grey & Cockatiel, so it's really just us he doesn't like I suppose. He is fully feathered, says, "Step Up, Merlin, No, Yes", and is a little piggy.

 So yes, I am doing much right, but I feel like a failure to him that he holds so much anger inside still.

I want my pets for life, but I also don't want to fear one. It's exhausting.

I don't know what else to do. It's so mentally exhausting some days.

Rosco as a cute baby - when he was all nice and stuff

Then we have a GOOD day.  A good day like yesterday.  It was cage cleaning time.  

He has taken to projecting his anger towards the broom - he will leap on it, and attack it. So it seems to be the enemy instead of myself and Husband.

I got him on the broom to go to the bathroom (we have a shower perch for the birds) while I cleaned the cages and room.  Afterwards, I felt brave.  I put on Husband's really super thick red hoodie and approached Rosco.  I asked him if he wanted to step up.  He looked at me, cocked his head, and said, "Up Up," holding his foot up.  His eyes weren't pinning, but I could tell he was being as cautious as I was.

He stepped up. He looked shocked. I WAS shocked (it has been months since he has stepped up for me).  Away we went to his cage.  As soon as he was safely in his cage, he got a great Avian Organics treat!

He didn't look angry. He looked at me, I looked at him, and we knew we had a good day.  

Maybe it's because I'm stubborn, or knowing that most people wouldn't have the patience to deal with his crap, but I don't feel I'd be able to just give up on him. Some days I really want a break from him for a few months to see...but what if he's just as angry with everyone else?  

I think we'll work together daily now with the thick red hoodie - even if he's on my for only a few seconds or minutes at a time - it's something. 

If you have any Caique-Specific training tips, that would be fabulous!  I just want him to be happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment