Tuesday 6 June 2017

The Stunning Emma - Shirt and Layered Dress - Rebecca Page Patterns

Rebecca Page Patterns have to be the most delicate and soft patterns I have encountered to date.

Previously known as "Mummykins and Me," her patterns have evolved to include more than just childrens patterns, but patterns for the ladies, boys, and dolls as well.

Rebecca is based out of the UK, but she has worldwide helpers and fans.  No wonder I love her patterns - I have a thing for the Brits!

The Emma shirt/dress comes with several length options - Top (above hips), Tunic (below hips), and the option to add up to 3 layers for knee, calf, and floor length versions.  You can also sew up the sash, or opt to just use a belt.

I opted for the Top and Tunic versions, both using different fabric types.

As the pattern *is* flowy, do be prepared for sewing with a lot of fabric.  You can choose to use one fabric/pattern, or mix things up a bit, and use different fabrics for a bolder statement.

My first top was actually a Modcloth Dress that I tried to love for years, but the top part puffed out so much that I only wore it a handful of times.  I cut the dress apart, and used the beautiful chiffon print for the exterior layer, and the original slip fabric as the new slip fabric, neck line, and arm openings.





The Tunic length was next - with a random flowy, thin, soft, cotton fabric I obtained from my sister's old fabric stash. It is unlined.







I made two sashes - for the top, it twirls around me twice, with a cute bow at the side, front, or back; and the second one, I was tired, and only sewed the sash half the recommended length - but made it work, and it tied around my waist once, with a knotted end - I prefer the knots/bows to lay at the side.

My second top was definitely a quicker sew vs the first one, both because I didn't line the tunic version, and I was familiar with the pattern concept. 

This is one of the "easier" Rebecca Page patterns - and definitely a keeper!  I couldn't resist wearing both tops to work the day after making each of them - and received kudos both days.  Although created from the same pattern, with different fabric choices, it really DOES make a difference in the flow and feel. 

This pattern is very detailed with respect to how the fabric will fall and look on you - from chiffons and knits, to soft and cotton wovens - each fabric has its own look and feel.

Shirt Version makes its Canadian debut!


The dress versions do require quite a bit of fabric, however, they would be lovely for weddings, parties, and even a tropical vacation! 

I'm looking forward to creating a "slimmed" down version of the knee length dress (cutting less of the angle - less fabric, but more fitted), so I can make a lovely work dress from a few metres of linen I have been hoarding for awhile.

And of course, I will add in pockets - because who doesn't need pockets??  Speaking of pockets, I'll put my excitement out for Rebecca's pocket pattern tutorial set!  You MUST have it - because...POCKETS!

This pattern is for all sizes - from toddler to large handed adults - she didn't forget anyone! 

Each of Rebecca's patterns are created with precision and small details, making them challenging, but well worth it, as the end result leaves you making more than one - you can't have just one of any of her patterns! 


Twirl On!




2 comments: