Tuesday 17 July 2018

Barbie's Wardrobe is Growing! McCalls 1970's Doll Clothes Patterns Come Alive!

So I'm getting the hang of Barbie clothes making again. 

I do recall trying to make some as a kid. But maybe two outfits as they were so small. 

For me, I have organized clear shoe boxes full of scrap fabrics screaming to be made into something. 

I have nieces with outdated Barbie clothes for their dolls.

And I have a sewing machine & Imagination. 

I took the chance and ordered to McCalls Barbie Doll clothes Pattern #869 from a random Etsy seller - Gail's Vintage Doll E-Patterns 

The pattern pieces print out on normal 8.5" x 11" paper, and are labelled well, thus no confusion as to what pattern pieces are for which outfit. 

There are a total of 12 outfits, and I made most of the pieces. 

Here are the outfits:

A) Ruffled Mermaid Dress - Ankle Length


 

I used some sparkly spandex (pretty sure all the patterns request woven, but I used what I felt fit modern Barbie), tulle, and light complimentary knit fabric. 

For the top hem, I used pink Bias tape. 

 






The pattern asks for snaps at the back, however, as I used stretch spandex, I sized down slightly at the sides, and it just goes on and off without snaps, but stays in place due to the curves.


I like the bottom ruffles-  they're fun & flirty!

2) Knee length dress with Bow

 

The next dress is made from woven suiting fabric.  

I used stretch ribbon for the "strap," and regular ribbon for the bow. 

I'm awful at tying bows, but this one isn't bad. 



 


I did use snaps for this dress as per instructions, and the dress doesn't fit too bad for a first woven attempt!

There's a few darts, a few snaps, and a lot of pretty!





C) Short Ruffle Dress
  




This is the short version of Dress A - I used another stretch spandex for the main portion, and black tulle for the ruffles. 

I also used rick rack for the straps (which tie into bows), which are okay, but not my favourite look - next time I'll go with normal ribbon. 

Just like with Dress A, I sized down a bit due to the spandex, and the fit is decent.  Not perfect, but it still looks cute!

This was an easy sew with darts - and it fits Barbie's curves!

D) Two Piece Dress - Peplum Top & Separate Skirt 

 


The next outfit is a two piece - a Peplum Top & Skirt.

I used woven cotton fabric, and it really pops with the bias tape on the top edge!

The Peplum is two pieces sewn together with some gathering, and the skirt has an elastic waistband, so easily goes on and off of Barbie. 

This was quick, easy, and still stylish these days!



E) Wrap Dress

 



The wrap dress entails a few pieces that are easily sewn together. 

I used a light crepe type fabric for this pattern, finished off with a simple ribbon belt.

There are snaps at the waist the keep the dress from peeping open and the best to finish off the look.





 



The lighter the fabric, the more this dress will drape.

Remember that the iron is your friend - especially when it comes to circled hems. Press, then sew in order to alleviate hem creases. 

I also finish the edges before hemming with a zig zag stitch to prevent future fabric freying, as the hem is only one fold.

The shoulders poof out a bit, but other than that, it's a cute dress for Barbies of any decade!


F) Camisole Set & G) Robe







I used a barely stretch knit fabric and lace for the housecoat. 

It was a simple sew, and finished off with a ribbon sash. 

The fit is on par, and Barbie seems to like it too.






But what Housecoat is complete without something underneath it?  Unless you're in X-rated Barbie land! 

Underneath the robe, Barbie sports a two piece camisole set.






It's made from cotton John Deere Fabric, Lace, and a few snaps at the back of the top to keep it together.

The instructions state materials in yardage - even for ribbon lengths, so all the ribbon I just guesstimated at, and didn't cut until I was finished sewing with it.

For the straps, I put the top against Barbie, and guessed the length - 3" seemed to be a good length for each strap without showing her cleavage.

I kind of want this outfit for myself!

H) Thigh length Coat and K) Slanted Top, and Shorts





The next outfits I opted to make were the short coat, which has a sewn in (attached) scarf and one button at the top.

I forgot the belt, hence the really large appearance.

This is the same coat pattern as the robe, but without the lace trim.


I paired it with the Shorts from patterns J & K, and the edgy top from pattern K.





The top has short sleeves, snaps on the back, and an angled appearance.

I made this from some sweater knit, and it looks pretty neat!




I made two pairs of shorts, as we tend to make more tops vs bottoms, and Barbie needs some bottoms.


If she were human, there is some bunching in the crotch area, so albheit not perfect, they seem to fit her well!

I opted to not make the long sleeved top version, as I have some other tops I'd rather sew up. 

And I failed at the bra top for pattern J (I was really tired), so went, "Meh," and decided it was too racy for my nieces anyhow.

J) Leggings




I found the leggings although simple to sew up, just didn't fit right - if Barbie were human, she'd have major camel toe here. 

I did use spandex...but the fit shouldn't be that bulky.  

But they look ok under a skirt. 

I think I'll cut the feet off like real leggings, and just have her wear them like that to take away some of the bulk. 
Overall, the outfits were simple to print out and make, the instructions were basic and easy to follow, and by following the 1/4" guide on my sewing machine, I was able to make the proper sized seams. 


I finished the edges of the woven fabric with zig zag stitches, and was happy to use up a bunch of scrappy fabrics and ribbons for this particular wardrobe. 

If you like these patterns, you can purchase them here

It was a whopping $3.41 Canadian for all 12 outfit patterns!











No comments:

Post a Comment