Monday 19 February 2018

Sewing Pattern Review - Bella Sunshine Design's Alice Pleated Dress

I love a bit of vintage flair and the little touches with my sew-me-clothing - and the Alice definitely brings both into to ball park.

It is elegant, reminds me of Alice in Wonderland, and I made mine...with a sheet we didn't use! 

Seriously! 

Although it lacks options (hint hint for a tie belt, full sleeves, or even a top option), these are things that at this point I can hack, and many new sewists appreciate not having too many options.  Options lead to confusion while sewing, and losing your spot in the pages.

Right now with the deep freeze winter we've had, and lack of snow like we used to get back in "my day," Alice remind me of Spring and summer Garden Parties.  And would be perfect for an Alice in Wonderland Tea Party or even Murder Mystery game

Freezing Rain during photo shoot


Sewing wise, I took my time to ensure I didn't miss any steps (one must not miss steps or assume, as that leads to seam ripping and alcohol), and it went together perfectly.  I wasn't confused during any of the steps, and it took me an afternoon to sew up. 

The sizing is right on, and I took a leap of faith and went without a muslin version (yay!) - Melissa and Danielle at Bella Sunshine Designs know their patterns and I learnt not to deviate from their sizing recommendations, pending *I* measured myself properly right before sewing.

I am hippy and have a booty, and this dress surprisingly doesn't make my booty look big or my hips look wider, so I'm quite impressed, considering some pleated dresses in the past have gone to the "not happening" pile as they enhanced what I try to not enhance.

My booty


So size and style = happy Unicorn!

The features included are:
- Pleated skirt
- Back zipper
- Fully lined
- Options for bias trim collar
- Cap sleeves (lined)
- POCKETS!!!
- Patterns for each cup size (= perfect fit)

Features I'd like to try hacking:
- 3/4 length sleeves (or knit sleeve underneath the cap sleeve)
- Sash or belt
- Slimmed down skirt so I can attempt to wear this pattern at work
- Shirt Length

Overall, it's a great pattern for those looking to enhance their sewing skills and sashay their vintage flair!

Awesomeness!


Try out Alice today and be impressed with the end result!  There is even a Girl's version for your little ones if you want a matching outfit!


1 comment: