Sunday 18 February 2018

Pattern Review - New Horizons Tami Revolution Double Hoodie

Back in April 2017, I didn't have a lot of true sewing experience, but sew-a-longs and pattern testing have changed that - the challenge in my mind vs reality were totally different.

Last year I participated in my first sew-a-long with New Horizons, and won a lovely bundle of fabric for my completed hoodies! 

Thank goodness for the sew-a-long though, as it included a useful link for how to make thumb hole cuffs (which I ADORE thanks to my past life love of Lululemon clothing).

The Tami Revolution Double Hoodie had my interest at the Thumbhole Cuffs, hood, pockets, and a new sewing challenge - a full zipper (or any zipper).

THUMBHOLE CUFFS!!


The only zipper issue I had was user error when I was too tired, and accidentally cut into the zipper nubs mid-way completing my hoodie, and had to go out and get a replacement zipper. The sewing part was super simple, and I was able to follow directions as a person who had put in maybe 2 zippers into anything over my lifetime.

Zipper (and more thumbhole cuffs - can you tell I'm excited?)


As a more beginner PDF sewist, understanding directions for a multi-option pattern were confusing - but today I can use multi-option patterns like it's nobody's business.  Why?  For example, the pages zip from page 5 to skipping over to page 15 then back to 11, depending on your options - making the sew-a-long steps easier to follow than the actual pattern at the time.

*But* Terra has been working hard with her pattern testers for more fluid patterns, including You Tube video links for more difficult to understand concepts.  I continually use the thumbhole cuff tutorial every time I make them, as I can't understand the instructions written, no matter HOW they are written - I'm visual like that). The New Horizons Group is also helpful for any inquiries or how-to's.

The end result of creating my first hoodie was a proud achievement. And MUCH easier than I expected.

Wearing it in OUR forest!


The options for the Hoodie include:
- Double Hood
- Crossover Hood
- Standard Hood
- Front zip
- Thumbhole Cuffs
- Standard Cuffs
- Shoulder Zip Accent
- Drawstring
- Kangaroo Pockets
- Side Pockets (POCKETS!!!)

Probably not the right inner fabric (thick silky retro fabric), but I love the hood!


And sizes range from XX Small to 26.  What does this mean?
- Bust - 29" to 51.5"
- Waist - 23" to 47"
- Hips - 31" to 53.5"

I wore mine almost every weekend at camp - and it kept me plenty warm - and I admit is quite cute - I know I was hoarding that beautiful teal cherry blossom stretch fleece for a reason! 

I still wear it while working from home Fridays, as it's cold in the basement!

So grab your Tami Hoodie pattern today and experience the satisfaction of a useful and versatile pattern for cozy nights and brisk mornings!

1 comment: