Tuesday 25 July 2017

Savvy Patterns - The Grace Tankini

The Grace Tankini is a vintage inspired two piece swimsuit with a variety of options.

The top I tested (View A) contains a Pretty circle cut out in the back.



The alternate, View B top, has a ruched center area which is customizable to flatter your figure.  Both top views include a shelf bra.

I sewed lining and cups inside, and the fit (and directions for fit) were on par.

During testing, Audrey made sure that the fit and feel were right for all sizes - and this meant a multitude of pattern amendments.  We worked together, and finally had the perfect fit under the arms, and with the behind.

For the bottoms, I tested out a circle skirt, but you can choose from a sporty bottom with or without ruching, or a panty.






Each of these 4 bottoms can be made either high waisted or to sit on your hips.  I prefer high waisted to cover up that whole "eating poutine with a pint" thing and neglecting my Beachbody workouts for the last while.

Once my workouts are back on track, beyond just daily yoga, I'll aim for the solo panty version - as I tried the tankini on with my 5 out of 4 Pattern's Reversible Riptide bottoms, and the pairing is amazing! 

Savvy Patterns Grace Tankini, 5 out of 4's Reversible Riptides, and George & Ginger Daybreak Rashguard!



The cut of the circle was a bit weird to understand at first for some, but I'd already completed a Twirly Skirt recently, so the double folding for a circle without seams was easy for me to comprehend.  I still haven't hemmed mine, but to be honest, I used the thicker swim fabric I sewed Husband's 5 out of 4 Men's Swim Trunks from, and swim fabric tends not to shred at the edges, so I'll see how long I can hold out before the edges become frayed.

The skirt is twirly, fun, and makes me feel pretty.  Plus I like something covering my behind and thighs, so it's perfect for my comfort level. And Merlin seemed to enjoy our photoshoot for our Fit Pics :)





On the Savvy Patterns website, Audrey (aka pattern designer with flair!) provides tips and links to swim sewing tutorials
 
But honestly, the pattern is straight forward, and a good quick afternoon sew before you head out to the beach!

I can't wait until I have the chance to make the Ruched Version, as I would ruch every single article of clothing I had if I could!  It's pretty and flattering, and gives me confidence - and that's what Sewing My Wardrobe is all about.

Grab yourself a copy of the pattern and swim suit fabric (while it's still available! Winter is COMING!), and Sew On!




 

1 comment:

  1. Such a cute version! Thanks for sharing! I'd love to see a ruched version from you...

    ReplyDelete