The Kingston Jacket!
Rebecca creates STUNNING clothing that is perfect for me to wear either to work or while at play. The attention to detail and professional touches definitely set her patterns at the top of my radar while looking to expand my professional office wardrobe.
At this point, I had already made a Madison Blouse (another post for another day), and knew how challenging M & M's patterns are. On the flip side, the end results are just beautiful and elegant with a plethora of top stitching, hidden edges, and a plethora of new sewing terms that I am wrapping my head around. I love the challenge!
This testing group started out with picking out our fabrics. I didn't have anything really appropriate aside from some old faded curtains, so I was given the green light to go to Fabricland.
Then I saw it. And had to have it! I call it "The Eye of the Tiger" Fabric!
|Left was original curtain; right is awesome tiger combo!!|
I Finished cutting out the Muslin pieces, and had to await a shipment of buttons from a new supplies to make it into a spring jacket. I've had the greenish material for 20 years (made my first curtains with it when I first moved out), and the purple I bought for a skirt I never made.
|Pattern pieces cut, fabric chosen for muslin|
These seams! This is only my test run, but they are flat and - I'll root my own horn - pretty straight top stitching! Onto the front plackets!
This took forever to sew up, but my trial run was finally done after a day or two! No buttons, but everything else was done as per pattern specs - muslins generally require an arm, no hemming, and be very basic. As I like this fabric, I opted to go all out into making it similar to the real deal.
The side pockets poke out a bit and I can't put my hands in them, so I didn't include them for my for real jacket. Many ladies noted this, and they are in the final pattern with a warning on their usage.
|Done Muslin (minus buttons)|
It was really cute, as the last 24 hours, Kate (our main contact) put up a live timer for the Final Countdown!
I definitely felt the pressure at this point, as I work full time, have my husband & pets (and home) to contend with, and each jacket took me about 7-8 hours from start to finish as I made some errors and ripped out a lot of seams.
It was a blur, but I know on both jackets, I sewed the arms on inside out - I blame fatigue and working on the jacket late. As well, I don't have a serger, as I am not 100% comfortable doing the felted seams (where you cannot see the seams at all - the fabric edges are cut near the seam on one half, folded over twice, then stitched with NO edges showing on the inside or outside of the garment) - that's an over-time skill I will learn and practice. So I sew a straight line, then zigzag the raw edges.
I'll go funky seams next time and hone in that skillset.
At least the fabrics were not knit and forgiving to me meticulously tearing out the stitches.
Make sure you sew the arms on the proper side out and are reading the right directions for your machine/sewing comfort level.
Partway through my jacket, I tried it on. It's awesome. It would make a great jean jacket vest!
I love this jacket and learn (and improved) so many skills while sewing up both my "muslin" tester (which I'll be adding buttons too, as it's stinking cute), and the real deal.