Thursday 16 March 2017

The Next Beachbody Hybrid - The Piyo with Chalene Johnson!

I'm like the unenergetic Energizer Bunny.

As I'm really enjoying the Hybrid programs, and they keep me workout out, I decided to combine Piyo and Focus T25.

I'll review Piyo here, and T25 here (I didn't review it previously, but completed it early 2015).



What is Piyo?

Carve an intensely defined physique—without jumps, without weights, and without straining your joints.
Using your body weight, you'll perform fluid, low-impact, high-intensity movements inspired by Pilates and yoga. The result? Long, lean muscles, a high, firm booty, and tight, flat, sexy abs.
With PiYo, you'll work every single muscle to stabilize, stretch, and strengthen every inch of your body. And since Chalene Johnson cranked up the speed and the fun, you'll burn crazy calories while you're at it.
This program includes 7 workouts - Align, Define (Upper and Lower), Sweat, Strength Intervals, Drench, and Sculpt.

We will see how my results are, as I'm also just starting up in the cycling season, so I anticipate seeing fabulous results from this duo.

I realized during the last 3 weeks of cycling (in the cold) that my cardio sucks, so doing purely resistance and strength training right before cycling season was detrimental to getting back in the saddle.



Piyo Align - 40 minutes

This workout breaks down the most important and effective moves in the program to help you perfect your form and get the best results possible.

This is more of a tutorial for the actual moves - and I only did this once. 

I spent the majority of this one-time session stretching my neck up to see what the heck Chalene was doing.

Afterwards I kicked myself, as I have completed enough BB programs that I should of known that each session has a tutorial and gradual increase in movements throughout the workout.



Piyo Define - Lower Body  - 25 minutes

Firm and tone your entire lower body while you blast fat and burn calories.

This includes a bit of Yoga with Chalene's Vinyasa flow, but evolves into Lunges of every shape and size, Warrior poses, and balance. 

I definitely have to stretch my hips out afterwards with some lengthy Pigeon stretches afterwards, but it's SOOOO worth it.

My thighs have to be the most powerful muscle in my body thanks to lunges!



Piyo Define - Upper Body - 35 minutes

Use this incredibly effective workout to start chiseling away at your upper body to help shape your arms, carve out your triceps, and define sexy shoulders.

This one was more difficult for me, as my arms are the weakest part of my body for the mostpart. 

You will love Chalene after an extreme workout with Pushups, roll ups, planks (and moving planks), and goddamn beasts.

I had to modify this workout each time, but no one can say I didn't give it my all!



Piyo Sweat - 35 minutes

A traditional PiYo workout that incorporates effective dynamic conditioning, fast-paced cardio yoga-flows, and bodyweight resistance strength training to help sculpt your entire body.

This workout really DOES make you sweat early on! 

It works with your lower body, core, cardio, and goddamn more lower body with squats and the dreaded Burpees! 

I mean, who actually enjoys Burpees?  My knees don't, so I do the alternate version and keep up with the ladies (and gentleman) in the video.

I really feel Chalene does not avoid Squats in any of her sessions.  Even the Upper body sessions.  For seriousness!

Despite my gripes, I love this workout!  Challenging = motivated Systic.



Piyo Strength Intervals - 25 Minutes

Twenty-five minutes is all you need of this nonstop body-carving, calorie-incinerating workout that uses no weights, no equipment, and gives you no bulk!

Ugh - Legs, planks, Core, Cardio.

I do appreciate having the moves broken down into 3 stages, so I can work my way into deeper stretches and movement.  As much as my body screams at Chalene, it also reaps the rewards of this style of workout.  I need cardio. And Strength training. Together in the same workout creates my best results.



Piyo Sculpt - 30 minutes

This workout uses varying tempos to keep your muscles under tension for different periods of time. This generates muscular endurance and metabolic changes that will totally transform your figure.

Wow.

The movements are gradual, such as going from a basic squat to pulsing - arms included.

My arms and shoulders were burning within a few minutes, and my hips were screaming!

Within 10 minutes, I was dripping sweat, and somehow this workout turned out to be a great cardio and strength workout all in one.

There is a bit of yoga in-between - Warrior, Upward Dog, and Downward Dog to help strengthen and provide gradual flexibility.

My least favourite moves include tricep dips and push ups - but those are things I have to work on.  My arm strength has been lost over my winter choices of workout programs (leg and abs focused vs arm strength).

This 30 minutes flies by, leaving me wondering where the time went!



Piyo Core - 30 minutes

This ab-centric workout hits your powerhouse from every angle to build a strong core, flat, sculpted abs and obliques, as well as a strong and sexy back.

This workout is designed to workout your core muscles - back, sides, and abs.

You might not feel it DURING your workout - but trust me - you will feel it the following day.

The abs and core movements are different from the other programs I have completed - which means Systic is happy as Systic thrives on changing things up in her normal routines to keep her interested.

I totally just talked about myself in 1st person.

Some of the moves I was confused and un-coordinated enough to get the first time around, but practice makes perfect.

There are some curtsy moves, which are fun (to me), and I appreciate the step-by-step moves which start simple and get more intense as the move evolves.

There is also a little bit of yoga (downward dog), planks, and side planks too.

I wear my wrist guards for this routine as my wrist strength sucks, and the guards give me balance and support - don't be afraid to modify moves or to use supports - it is all about building your strength and endurance!

Another routine that left me wondering where the time went - sweet!


c/o www.quickmeme.com


Drench - 49 minutes

This endurance workout maximizes fat burning while it works every muscle in your body. It will not only leave you drenched—it will kick-start your metabolism as you scorch away the fat.

Within 10 minutes (so 5 minutes warm up, 5 minutes workout), I was literally drenched.

I'm getting used to the 3 step progressions Chalene uses as part of her fitness routines - and it makes it SO much easier to make sense of some moves.

But some of the moves are so quick that I get a little bit lost and it feels like I'm car singing without knowing all of the words, but I sing anyhow.

There are a lot of downward dogs, upward dogs, balance, and warrior moves - but no worries, as the moves are very fast, so you are not in any of the positions for very long.

This is also a full body workout, so a little bit of balance, legs, arms, more legs, legs, and core.

I definitely feel like a drenched cat by the end of this routine. I love it!



Conclusion

- This is definitely not the last time Chalene and I workout together!  I was skeptical due to the "Pilates" aspect, but there were no Pilates moves with respect to breathing, so I was safe the whole way through!  the workouts feel quick, and I don't get bored mid way.  She talks JUST enough, and is a great motivator! 

No comments:

Post a Comment